Founded in 1984, the Rwanda National Olympic and Sports Committee (RNOSC) has its headquarters at the Amahoro National stadium in Remera, Kigali and serves as both the National Olympic Committee and Commonwealth Games Association.
BUILDING GENERATIONS OF CHAMPIONS
- The Rwanda national Olympic and sport Movement must become a pillar of social, economic and environmental development in Rwanda;
- Nationally, the Olympic Movement must provide each citizen of Rwanda with the opportunity to engage within his/her community, to live his/her passion, to build his/her capacities, to get a job, and to adopt a healthy lifestyle;
- Beyond our borders, sport throughout its international exposure, must continue strengthening the positive image of Rwanda as a reference model;
- Every people dedicated to the sport Movement has to play a significant role. Athletes, decision-makers and managers, officials, coaches, parents, partners, all of them must carry on the values of exemplarity, respect, friendship and excellence;
- Recognize the achievements of those who make a real difference.
RNOSC’S MISSION AND ROLE ARE DESIGNED BY:
- The Olympic Charter
- Develop, promote and protect the Olympic Movement in Rwanda
- Promote the fundamental principles and values of Olympism in their countries, in particular, in the fields of sport and education, by promoting Olympic educational programmes in all levels of schools, sports and physical education institutions and universities, as well as by encouraging the creation of institutions dedicated to Olympic education, such as National Olympic Academies, Olympic Museums and other programmes, including cultural, related to the Olympic Movement
- Encourage the development of high performance sport as well as sport for all
- Help in the training of sports administrators by organizing courses and ensure that such courses contribute to the propagation of the fundamental principles of Olympism
- Take action against any form of discrimination and violence in sport
- Adopt and implement the World Anti-Doping Code
- Represent the country at the Olympic Games and at the regional, continental or world multi-sports competitions patronized by the IOC. In addition, each NOC is obliged to participate in the Games of the Olympiad by sending athletes
- Select and designate the city which may apply to organize Olympic Games
- Cooperate with governmental bodies, with which the RNOSC will achieve harmonious relations. However, it shall not associate itself with any activity which would be in contradiction with the Olympic Charter. The RNOSC may also cooperate with non-governmental bodies
- Preserve its autonomy and resist all pressures of any kind, including but not limited to political, legal, religious or economic pressures which may prevent it from complying with the Olympic Charter.
III. OLYMPIAD’S OBJECTIVES
- Professionalize the Rwanda sport Movement, including the National Olympic and Sport Committee, affiliated national sport federations and organizations, athletes along with all stakeholders involved, to create a positive environment generating success and performance.
- Make Rwanda a leading and influencing country in Africa recognized as a reference and innovative Nation by peers within the international sport Movement.